Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013 Holiday Wrap-Up

It's been a fun holiday season for the Hunters!  We've thoroughly enjoyed the past month (except for the 2 weeks Evie and I were super sick), and we're looking forward to some downtime in January.

Thanksgiving was a treat!  We were able to have Thanksgiving dinner with Beau's side of the family on the Saturday before the actual day.  This is an annual tradition and it is so nice because we get to be with everyone, regardless if some of us will be with in-laws on the actual day.  I don't have a photo yet because I need to go get copies from my sister-in-law, but we had a great time!

We spent the actual Thanksgiving Day with my family this year.  However, before we went down to my mom and dad's house we snuck a couple of other things in.  Beau went to look at deer.  He goes with good friend of ours every year.  They wake up early and head into the hills and look for deer.  This is all done from the comfort of the heated car, mind you.  Evie and I joined up with my little brother and ran a Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot.  It was just a 5k, but it was super fun.  I'm hoping Tyler might want to make this a new tradition.

Evie, Me, & Ty at the finish line.

Me and Ty.

Me and my little running buddy, Evie.
We soon made our way down to mom and dad's house.  We had the entire family with us this year.  Even Traci and Brodie surprised us by coming home for the holiday.  YAY!  Following tradition in our family, we ended the day with a movie.  We all went to see the new Disney movie, "Frozen."  This was Evie's first in-theatre movie and she loved it . . . until about 15 minutes from the end.  She had sat long enough and needed to get down and run.



Our family Thanksgiving picture.  No, we didn't get a new dog.
Evie is in this I-Won't-Smile-For-The-Camera phase.  And, the
only way we could get her to sit still on our laps for a picture
was to invite this cute little doggie.  :)
We went back to the house for pie and Evie and Carter got some quality time together.  Grandma let them hang out on her bed and watch a movie.


I had the pleasure of waking up early the next morning to hit some Black Friday sales with my mom, sister, and one of my sisters-in-law.

We do this every year.  It's fun to be with the girls.
We finish our shopping  excursion with lunch.
Now it's time to roll in the Christmas holiday with one of our favorite traditions.  We go up the canyon and cut us a fresh tree each year.  It's way fun and we love having the fresh tree in our home.  This was Evie's first adventure in the snow and she loved it (except when she got snow in her boot).



After we cut our tree down and got it loaded in the truck, Beau went pheasant hunting with some great friends of ours.  Evie and I went too, but we stayed back at the truck and played while Beau was off hunting.

Evie tried to follow daddy into the field, but she
eventually came back to play with mommy.


Here we are in the field playing.  We were playing a game where she would have to chase me to catch me.  She obviously thought it was super fun.


Another fun tradition I do every year is go to the Festival of Trees.  Traci was here this year so she joined me and my mom for the fun.


While we were at the Festival, we let the kids sit with Santa.  Evie pretty much thought Santa was horribly scary and cried when I left her with this strange man.  I really can't blame her, can you?


The big days came and we embraced them.  Christmas Eve was great fun.  We spend it with Beau's family every year.  Evie loves running around with her cousin, HaLee.  They are so cute together.


Here's our little Evie doll in her PJ's.  She is so stinkin' flexible.


We followed all the yearly traditions.  We ate well, read Christmas stories, sang carols, played the chimes, opened gifts, and played our family-favorite game, Tess.

Reading Christmas Stories

Playing the Chimes

The whole family playing the chimes.

A dice game we played while opening and trading white elephant gifts.
We were ALL completely spoiled with gifts.  Especially Evie!
Fun was had by all and Evie fell asleep on the way home so she could wait to see if Santa came the next day.



And, guess what!?  He did.  But Evie seriously could have cared less.  She's only 19 months old, so she really has no concept of the whole Christmas thing.  She didn't even like ripping the paper and opening the gifts.

The very first thing she opened was her Cozy Coupe (little red and yellow car) and she was happy with that.  We couldn't get her to get out of it to open any more presents, so we had to take her gifts to her.  She would open most of her remaining gifts from her new car, and that usually took some prodding and LOTS of help.

When opening gifts was no more fun, we had to take a break to eat.  Evie cared more about breakfast than more toys, so while she ate, Beau and I opened our gifts.  When we returned to finishing up her gifts we found that her next favorite gift was her potty and the accessories that came with it (panties and a potty book).  Man, this girl is a riot.  Who knew that the new car and the potty was all this girl needed/wanted?!  Oh . . . she did like the new ornament we gave her in her stocking of Buzz and Woody from "Toy Story."  And, to be completely honest . . . Beau and I didn't really even get her that much.  Between Santa and us, she only had 5 gifts and a stocking to open.  Of course she was spoiled by others too.  However, we're learning very quickly that less is more around here.

Here's a collage of Evie's morning fun.



After we had our own little family time, we headed down to see my family at my mom and dad's house.  We eat a traditional Christmas breakfast, open [more] gifts, and play games.  We were a little late to breakfast this year because it took so long for Evie to get through her gifts, but we still were able to see everyone.

Evie ran right for baby Mollie.  She LOVES babies . . . especially real ones.
She also loves playing with Carter.  It's going to be sad when he goes home.

Me and Beau.  We're about to open gifts and then eat our breakfast.

I had to squeeze in some baby loves from this cutie pie.

And, so did Evie.  She gave Mollie a big hug and kiss.

She was quick to find Carter and they played on the iPad for a while.
Evie was given a jogging stroller with a giant stuffed animal.  I included it in the collage above.  She was more than excited to be pushing that thing around the house!

We were then privileged to have Christmas dinner with Beau's dad and stepmom.  They fed us well, spoiled us with more gifts, and we enjoyed hanging out.

Evie and HaLee

Evie really didn't love opening gifts.  Grandma handed this to her
and she just leaned on it like that's what it was for.  We loved it!
When we finally unwrapped it, we found a WAY fun leaning table
that plays music and all sorts of cool things.

Grandma even broke out the ukulele and sang "Jingle Bells" with us.
 To say the least, we had a grand time, but were also completely exhausted from the festivities.  It took us a day or two to get back to normal.

Sunday came and I was thrilled to dress Evie in her new Christmas dress.  I also made the headband to match.  She looked so beautiful.


I must admit that having this little doll face in my life has definitely increased my love for Christmas.  I've always loved it, but I REALLY love it now.  And yes.  The gift-giving and such is fun with a little one.  But, I can honestly say that my appreciation and meaning of Christ's birth has grown with Evie in our home.  As I contemplate the massive amount of love I have for Evie as her mother, I can somewhat put myself in Mary's shoes and think about how precious and special the gift of the baby Jesus was at the time of His birth.  And, to know that he would be the Savior for all mankind makes it hard to fully comprehend the significance of such an event.  My heart was truly full of love for Christ this season and my desire to be more like him and to be even more obedient has grown.  We are all so blessed!

We wrapped up the year by having dinner with Beau's family and then playing some games with friends.


We wish you all a very Happy New Year!


1 comment:

  1. Love it! It looks like you had so much fun- that Evie is such a doll.

    ReplyDelete