Saturday, June 27, 2015

Half Marathon Cancer Run

I made it to the Half Marathon that I love to run every year.  I kind of wondered if I would make it this year because I was having such a hard time getting my training runs in.  My sweet little Addie just hasn't loved sleeping through the night (until lately), so training for a big run was pretty tricky.  I mean, I was exhausted from getting up during the night and being a mom all day.  Running just took a back seat.

But, life began to settle a little bit about 8 weeks before the race and I was able to get at least 2 runs in each week (which, when I'm serious I try to get 4) and in a good week I would get 3.  I definitely didn't have the chance to work on speed, but I did log enough miles to not bonk out on marathon day.  I was sooooo happy I made it to race day without wanting to die!

There was another first for this run.  Last year it was just me and my brother, Tyler.  This year we recruited two additional family members.  Tyler's wife, Jill and my sister, Traci.  We had a big sleepover at my house the night before the race because we had to catch the busses so early in the morning.  

We totally woke up at 3:15am to catch the busses for our ride up AF Canyon to the starting line.
This is us at the starting line.  So pretty, huh?!  I love this run.
Me, Traci, Jill, & Tyler
Tyler and I are pretty evenly matched when it comes to pace, so we stuck together the entire race.
I love having a running buddy!!  
After I had finished, I walked back about a half mile to wait for my sister.
I ran the last half mile to the finish line with her.  It was awesome.
I'm not exactly sure why, but I got pretty emotional at the close of this run.  I teared up BOTH times I ran over the finish line.  Perhaps it could be that I'm a true cancer survivor and this was a cancer run. I've had melanoma.  It was caught SUPER early (I had a bad mole) and I didn't have to have any major cancer treatments (I just had the mole and the surrounding skin cut out), but I still had it.  At one point in my life I didn't think much of it (probably because I didn't have any major cancer treatments).  However, lately I have really grown to appreciate the fact that I'm still here.  I mean, Melanoma is one of the fastest growing cancers and had it not been discovered, I wouldn't be here today.  I am checked every six months to ensure I don't get any more bad moles.  Along with my doctor, I am WAY on top of everything and I don't fear much because he and I catch it all (if there's ever a mole in question, he just takes it off).  That being said . . . I look at my sweet family; I think about my awesome husband and my darling girls and I can't help but tear up in gratitude for the opportunities I've had post-melanoma. 

This is what these sweet girls were doing while I was running.
They both ended up in bed with Beau.  :)
As mentioned above, I also have had such a hard time training since Adeline came.  That being said, I finished strong.  I thought the last few miles would be SO hard, and they really weren't.  I mean, I was ready to be done, but I wasn't dying.  I'm pretty sure that got me a tad bit emotional.

And, that being said . . . while it was a little frustrating on the exercise/training side of things . . . I wouldn't trade a thing for that sweet baby Addie.  Oh my word!  I'm so blessed.  I'm so blessed to have her in my life.  

I was also so happy to have more of my family members join me.  I'm such a promoter for healthy living and fitness and it makes my heart happy to have others on the trail with me.  

And . . . I'm sure the song playing through my earbuds as I finished the race definitely helped to contribute to the emotions.

This is my fight song
Take back my life song
Prove I'm alright song
My power's turned on
(Starting right now) I'll be strong
I'll play my fight song
And I don't really care if nobody else believes
'Cause I've still got a lot of fight left in me!

Here's to another half marathon down and MORE to come.  


Oh!  And, I may have finished the half marathon with this.  Heaven knows I earned it.  LOL!


3 comments:

  1. Did you see Brette?!?! I didn't know you were running again. She ran too. I wish I was in shape to run it. It's a struggle these days. HAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No; I didn't see Brette! Darn! I would have totally looked for her had I known she was running it. I wish you had been there too! How about next year?

      Delete
  2. Love you! It was such a neat experience - so glad I was able to do it with you!!

    ReplyDelete